John 17:11 (NLT)
Now I am departing from the world; they are staying in this world, but I am coming to you. Holy Father, you have given me your name; now protect them by the power of your name so that they will be united just as we are.
John 17 contains a prayer that Jesus prayed, probably the night of the last supper.
- Literally means to guard or keep the evil influence and hurt away.
- The right name makes a big difference.
- Protection comes through the name
- A name represents a relationship.
- A name refers to one's nature.
- We need protection while we are on earth.
Make them one
- The nature of the request leads us to believe that unity is received not achieved.
- The result of this will be:
v. 21 - the world will believe that Jesus was sent by God
v. 23 - the world will know they are loved
When this prayer is answered there will be supernatural effects on our lives