And lo, a voice from heaven, saying, This is my Son, in Whom I am well pleased. (Matt. 3:17)
God is the Chief Encourager.
- Jesus (Matt. 3:17; 17:5)
- Elisha (1 Kings 19:1-18)
We need encouragement:
- Encouragement protects us.
- Encouragement strengthens us.
- Encouragement helps us realize our potential.
Encouragement is spiritual work!
- Romans 12:6-8 – it is a motivational gift
- Ephesians 4:29 – encouragers use their words to lift others
- Galatians 6:2 – encouragers lift burdens
- 1 Thessalonians 5:11 – encouragers link themselves to others
The example of Barnabas:
... there was Joseph, the one the apostles nicknamed Barnabas (which means “Son of Encouragement”) ... (Acts 4:36)
- Acts 9:26-27 – he connected himself to Saul when no one else would.
- Acts 11:22-24 – he was sent to console the disciples
- Acts 15:36-39 – he had compassion on John Mark
Final Thought: Hebrews 10:24-25
Hebrews 10:24-25 (NLT)
24 Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works.
25 And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.