Advent is from the Latin word meaning "coming."
Acts 1:6-11 ...Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? 7 And he said unto them, it is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power...9...when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. 10 And while they looked steadfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; 11 which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.
To know that Jesus is coming again.
- The promise - John 14:3 (And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.)
- The events - 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18 (For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.)
- What can we expect prior to this event? Luke 21
To have peace concerning Jesus' coming.
- John 14:1 and 1 Thess. 4:18 both offer consolation
- Max Lucado wrote, "For the Christian, the return of Christ is not a riddle to be solved or a code to be broken but rather a day to be anticipated."
To trust Him with the timing of this event.
- Matthew 24:36 ("But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only.")
- Acts 1:7 (He said to them, "It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by his own authority.")
To be prepared for his coming.
- Matthew 24:42, 44 (Therefore, stay awake, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. 44 Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.)
To serve Him with a sense of urgency.
- John 9:4 (We must work the works of him who sent me while it is day; night is coming, when no one can work.)